Doctor of Philosophy
Benefits of our Doctor of Philosophy program
PhD candidates receive up to $8,000 for project support over their candidature time. This funding assists with costs relating to:
- research visits,
- conferences, and
- data sets.
The faculty research project support also includes funding:
- $1,200 for copy editing, and
- $500 for thesis printing & binding.
PhD candidates can also apply for a competitive funding opportunity $5,000 through the Macquarie Postgraduate Research Fund.
In addition to faculty funding, there are university-wide scholarships available, including:
- Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (MQRES)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) for international candidates
PhD graduates find employment opportunities in:
- financial institutions
- management and senior research positions in various industries, as well as in organisations that set national and international research agendas, norms and standards, articulate evidence-based policy options, and monitor trends
Refer to the Higher Degree Research Office website
Facilities for the completion of PhD degrees by research are available in all Departments.
Length of Candidature
The minimum period of candidature is two years and the maximum period is three years for full-time candidates and six years for part-time candidates. Extensions may be granted in special circumstances. Part-time candidates must be able to spend on average throughout the year at least 20 hours a week on a program of research and advanced study and attend the University on an average of at least once a week for consultation with their supervisors.
Fees and costs
For fee information please visit the university HDR website.
- To find an available research supervisor please lodge an Expression of Interest in PhD study
- Don't qualify for entry into the PhD program? Find out about our pathway program!